Thursday, March 20, 2014

    So I'm breaking down today into multiple posts. I haven't been as active here as I would have liked, lots going on personally that I can't talk about, plus a death in the family which had me out of town today, etc. So first, the primary election. As expected, Bruce Rauner and Pat Quinn won. No shockers on Tuesday, other than how close the GOP side was. Whether it was Dillard getting dems to cross over, or low turnout, he over achieved. I said before that on a dollar spent per percentage point of the vote total, Dillard was doing better than Rauner. That definitely was the case then. As far as Quinn, he won 75%, which is a strong victory, but I think there were plenty of dems pulling republican ballots. If that wasn't the case, I believe Hardiman would've taken a higher percentage of the vote. Clearly there are dems unhappy with Quinn, but come November, I believe they'll hold their nose and vote for the incumbent. This will likely be the most expensive gubernatorial race in Illinois history, but if I'm a betting man, I say we have the same governor at this time next year.
    Also, I was kind of disappointed that Rutherford stayed in the race, yet came out pretty much as soon as the polls closed and conceded. His votes could've changed the outcome, and he surely knows this. Obviously he doesn't have much love for Rauner, but yet he stayed in and helped Rauner win. Bad call for him.
    A lot of people were giving Brady heat for not dropping out, but keep in mind he heard many of the same complaints in 2010 before winning. No one should really fault him for staying him.
    As a final note, I talked to Dillard the next day, and he seemed genuinely happy. Clearly the end of the campaign is a big relief, and I think he is taking solace in the moral victory of a near victory, despite being outspent by millions. He always seems like a true class act. He says he has no plans for running for any other offices in the future, so kudos to him for a long and distinguished career in Illinois politics.

No comments:

Post a Comment